You must know that finding the best ab workout can be difficult and if you have been working your lower abs without much success things can get frustrating. During the course of this article I have prepared what I consider to be the best lower ab workout I have seen and included some healthy eating advice as well.
If you are generally overweight then the best ab workout in the world will only work if you aim to lose overall body weight as just working the lower abs will not achieve this alone. Losing overall body fat can be achieved by combining strength training, cardio training and at number one, a well balanced diet.
For your lower ab workout here are 7 proven exercises for you to include in your routine. Begin with a warm up (light jogging and a few step ups should suffice) then I suggest you test each exercise and see how many reps you can do, do not push yourself too far to begin with. Once you have completed each exercise rest for a while and when you are ready to start you should perform each exercise half the number of reps you achieved in the test.
Take a short rest between each exercise and repeat the circuit three times. Only increase the number of reps when you can comfortably complete the three circuits.
One caution before you begin for people with back problems, seek medical advice before you attempt these exercises as there will be pressure put on your back muscles.
Lower Ab Workout
- Leg Bicycle – This is my particular favourite as you can alter leg angle to increase difficulty as you progress. Lay flat on the floor with your hands behind your head and raise both legs to a 90 degree angle so they are pointing at the ceiling. Bend slightly at the knees and perform the movement as you would on a bicycle continue until you have achieved half your test time. As your muscles get stronger lower your legs bit by bit so that the angle decreases from 90 degrees to 45 degrees.
- Pike Crunches or V Crunches – Lie flat on the floor with your arms fully extended above your head and your toes pointed out in front of you. Bend your knees slightly then raise your legs off the floor and at the same time raise your arms, keeping them straight until you get to the V position. Hold for a few seconds then return to the floor completing one rep.
- Leg Push Ups – Lie flat on your back with your feet pointing up to the ceiling, place your hands on your hips. Bend at the knees, lowering your legs then push back up until your toes point to the ceiling again keeping your lower body straight, that is one rep completed, return to the floor only when you have completed your target number of reps. As you get stronger try adding ankle weights.
- Sit Ups – A standard exercise but no less effective for that. Lie flat on the floor and anchor your feet on say a chair or your bed. With hands behind your head raise your torso off the floor and when upright twist the body first right then left and slowly return to the floor. For less resistance fold your arms across your chest.
- Scissor Crunch – Lie flat on the floor with your arms held behind your head and your toes pointed out in front of you. Take your right leg and keeping it as straight as possible, stretch as far as you can across your body and as high on the left hand side as it will go, repeat with your left leg, this completes one rep.
- Leg Extensions – Lie flat on the floor with your arms held at 90 degree angle to your body and your toes pointed out in front of you. Slowly raise your legs bending at the knee bringing them back toward your body then extending them keeping your legs off the floor. Repeat this action only retuning to the floor when you have completed the required number of repetitions.
- Air Marching – This is a similar exercise to the Leg Bicycle the difference being that the legs are kept straight and move up and down replicating a marching movement, again only return to the floor after completing your target number of reps.
Please remember that if you start to feel any discomfort or pain you must stop immediately if you do not you will get hurt. Don’t look upon these exercises as a chore otherwise you will lose interest and your fat will remain, so enjoy as well as work out.
These exercises will give you the best lower ab workout you could want, however, I did previously mention the need to observe healthy eating so no apologies for repeating that the best ab workout is accompanied by a well balanced diet regime. If you think of your body in terms of a car engine your body is your engine and in the same way as the car needs fuel to work so your body needs food. Make sure you eat good nutritious food that provides sufficient calories to give your body the energy it requires and drink plenty of fluids.
To sum up:
- Loose excess weight
- Exercise regularly, not just occasionally
- Eat properly and keep the body hydrated
Thank you for reading this article, Good Luck to You.